Babajide Sanwo Olu biography talks about the life history of the Nigerian politician and businessman.
Babajide Sanwo Olu Biography
Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu is born June 25, 1965. He is a Nigerian Politician and the current Governor of Lagos State; he was elected under the platform of the All Progressives Congress after contesting and unexpectedly winning the governorship under the All Progressives Congress against incumbent governor, Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State in October 2018.
Sanwo Olu is a graduate of Unilag (University of Lagos), as well as the London Business School, Lagos Business School and the John F. Kennedy School of Government. Before his gubernatorial ambition, He was the Managing Director/CEO of Lagos State Property Development Corporation (LSPDC).
Babajide Sanwo Olu Education
Sanwo-Olu has a BSc in Surveying and an MBA from the University of Lagos. He is an alumnus of the John F. Kennedy School of Government, the London Business School and the Lagos Business School
He is an associate member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management (CIPM) and Fellow of the Nigeria Institute of Training and Development (NITAD).
Between the period of 1994 to 1997, Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu was the treasurer at former Lead Merchant Bank after which he moved to the United Bank for Africa as the head of foreign money market.
Later. He headed to First Inland Bank, Plc. (now First City Monument Bank) as a divisional head and deputy general manager.
He is a board member of the Department for International Development (DFID/DEEPEN) Fund and Audit Committee of Caverton Offshore Services Group, PLC. He was the chairman of Baywatch Group Limited and First Class Group Limited.
In 2003, Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu started his political career in 2003, when he was appointed a Special Adviser on Corporate Matters to the then deputy governor of Lagos State, Femi Pedro.
Later on, he was made the acting Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budget until 2007, when he later became the Commissioner for Commerce and Industry by then Governor, Bola Tinubu.
After the General Elections of 2007, Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu was appointed Commissioner for Establishments, Training and Pensions by Governor Babatunde Fashola.
Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu was made Managing Director/CEO of the Lagos State Development and Property Corporation (LSDPC) by Governor Akinwunmi Ambode in 2016
His highly distinguished public sector achievements include the supervision of the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) privatization projects.
He set up and was the Pioneer Board Chairman of Lagos Security Trust Fund. The LAGBUS System and the Control & Command Centre in Alausa were subsequently established under his directives.
Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu formally declared his intention to run for the office of the governor of Lagos State under the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Party, making him a major contender to the incumbent governor Akinwunmi Ambode on On 16 September 2018.
His declaration attracted endorsements from major stakeholders in Lagos State politics.
He won the Lagos gubernatorial primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) on 2 October 2018. At the APC flag-off campaign rally held on 8 January 2019.
Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu was elected to the Office of Governor of Lagos State at the 2019 General elections for Lagos State which held on 9 March 2019.
He was sworn in as the 15th Governor of Lagos State at the Tafawa Balewa Square (TBS) Lagos Island on Wednesday May 29, 2019
Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu has obtained a variety of awards in his career, some of which include:
- Platinum award from the Lagos State Public Service Club.
- 2009 Best in Human Capital Development award from the Industrial Training Fund (ITF).
- Merit Award from the Association of Professional Women Engineers of Nigeria (APWEN).
- LSDPC Impactful Leadership and Recognition Award.
- Merit award from the Association of National Accountants of Nigeria.
- Merit award from the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management in Nigeria (CIPMN).
Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu is married with children to Dr. Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu.
Babajide Sanwo Olu Religion
He is a devoted Christian and worships with the Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries.
Where is Sanwo Olu From?
Sanwo-Olu is a native of Lagos state.
10 Interesting things You Probably don’t know about the Lagos Governor
- Sanwo-Olu is a native of Lagos state.
- Babajide Sanwoolu has won numerous awards which include the symbol of excellence award from the Civic Enlightenment Association of Nigeria, a gold mentor award from the National Association of Nigeria Nurses & Midwives (NANNM), a platinum award from the Lagos state Public Service Club and the 2009 best in Human Capital Development award from the Industrial Training Fund (ITF).
- He obtained a bachelor’s degree from the University of Lagos and also an MBA in surveying from same university.
- He was appointed commissioner for Commerce and Industry in 2007 during Bola Tinubu Era.
- He also served as Babatunde Fashola’s commissioner for Establishments, Training and Pension between 2007 and 2015.
- Sanwo-Olu is an associate member of the Chartered Institute of Personal Management (CIPM) and fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Training and Development (NITAD).
- He attended the Kennedy school of Government, USA;the London business school as well as the Lagos business school (LBS).
- He is married to Dr C. Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu and their union is blessed with 4 children.
- Babajide is over 53 years of age.
- He was appointed special adviser on corporate matters by the then Deputy governor, Femi Pedro in 2003.
Support us if you like this Babajide Sanwo Olu biography! Share with family and friends